I think I have mentioned before, that the way I cook is on impulse. I see some ingredients in my cupboards or fridge and then I feel inspired with some idea! Some successful, others… well you can’t always have a winner😄 These potato rolls also came to existence through this process. My husband and I both thought that this recipe was one of the winners, well he asked for seconds!
The puff pastry jumped into my hand as I opened the freezer, now usually when I see puff pastry I think of the absolutely delicious sweet potato rolls. You can never fully decide if they count as food or desert?? But since we’re in #lockdown currently, my resources were limited, but I did have potatoes and cheese!
So here is my new savoury version. Potato rolls with gravy… but it could also be a good option to substitute the gravy for sour cream? If someone tries it, please let me know what the outcome is!
1 roll of puff pastry
About 2 cups of mashed potatoes
Spices for mashed potatoes. I used: Mixed herbs, paprika, salt & pepper
About 2 cups of grated cheese, depends on personal preference.. I prefer lots and lots🧀
Gravy (Homemade would be amazing, but I just used a sachet.)
1. Pre-heat oven to a 180 degrees C.
2. Cook potatoes, drain, mash and mix in spices.
3. Unroll the defrosted puff pastry. Spread the mashed potatoes on the puff pastry, covering the entire surface. Don’t spread it too thickly. Cover the surface with grated cheese.
4. Roll the puff pastry and cut the roll into smaller pieces. Each piece can be about three fingers wide.
5. Place rolls in an ovenproof dish and brush with milk/eggs. Bake between 30-40 minute. The time will depend on how thick your rolls are. It should be browned and crunchy.
6. Take out of the oven. Plate the rolls and cover with delicious, thick gravy or try sour cream.
I hope you will have an inspired and blessed day!